Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Post Election feelings in Hong Kong

Wow, what once was a boring election time has become one of the more complexed political moments in the history of Israel. It seems that every Israeli on election day was strategizing. No random vote was cast. Left wing People voted Livni because they wanted to prevent the win from Bibi. Right wing voted for the clear-cut and seemingly racist Avigdor Liberman (that came out with the genious slogan for the Israeli vote "Only Liberman understand Arabic"). This might be the main reason the Kadima came with their hand (slightly) on top.The result however shows how divided Israel currently is and that's a reason to worry. I decided to vote for Meimad, which for me seemed like the only movement that truly belong for the 21th centry global and green politics, unfortunately, it's not the time for this kind of thinking in Israel.

It's very weird for me to be abroad on result night and the day after. The pilot on the El-Al flight read us the poll results at 22:00 ( there was a great surprise on a lot of people's faces and even applause) and gave us the real results at 06:00 A.M.
I'm trying to read the Israeli websites since then and see CNN. In the next few days things will be very very difficult for the parties in Israel and I'm really curious on what will be the outcome. I read in Ha'aretz that there are voices saying that Kadima and the Labor should unite. While it seems that now is the best time for such a move, I can't really imagine the social labor mix with Kadima liberals. We shall have to wait and see.

I'm now here in the super-interesting city of Hong Kong and I'm hosted by Shani Ben-Or, the community cantor and also a former Machina participant. She lives on floor number four, which for the chinese is a sign of bad luck (The word four sounds like the word death in one of their Dialects and so they avoid it at any cause, a bit similar to the obsession of christians with 13, which reminds me, I'm flying from here on Friday the 13th, Spooky!). The Urban view is amazing and still it has a green tropical side to it, really beautiful.

I'm attaching a phot, taking at Victoria Peak with Shani,
I will write more updates real soon so be sure to check it out.

1 comment: